Saturday, November 15, 2008

Total Devastation

My sweet parents lost their beautiful home and all of their belongings today to a fire. The fire was fast and fierce so they didn't have time to save much of anything. My mom was able to get some pictures off the walls, some family videos, and the dirty clothes hampers (with some dirty clothes). They didn't have an official evacuation, but my dad figured it was time when the back yard went up in flames. They knew they had lost everything when they saw their house on the channel 9 news, burning to the ground. The news reporter was saying "This is someone's home. Someone's memories. Someone's life." As my mom was thinking, "This is my home. My memories. My life." I don't know what to do or say at this point. I am still in shock. My hands are still shaking. My mind is still scattered. Luckily I can say that everyone is fine. My parents are safe and my 2 brothers that still live at home are safe as well.  They are all together in a hotel room tonight. 4 people with no luggage. Please keep them in your prayers. I know that they will be reluctant to take any handouts, but they have nothing so they will be forced to take what you have to give :) Hundreds of people in southern California lost their homes today and my heart goes out to all of them. It breaks my heart to think of my dear mom who had everything she ever wanted or needed, her dream house, her dream life, will have to rebuild it from the ground up. I never knew what it really meant to have your heart ache until today. My heart is aching, but I am optimistic.  Here's to a new start. 

28 comments:

Cathy said...

Katie, I don't even know what to say. I am so sorry. Your parents had such a beautiful and peaceful home full with the spirit. We will keep all of you in our prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I don't even know what to offer. We love you!

Matt and Mandy said...

I am so so sorry, let us know what we can do. They are in our prayers, we love your cute family!

Sarah said...

Katie,
Rebekah and I have been thinking of you guys all night. I am so sorry. Of course, please let our family know if we can help in any way. This is so devastating, I am so sorry.

Bek said...

katie, i am so sorry. i know what that house meant to your family, and especially your mom. we are praying for you and our house is open to your family. we are here for you guys. love you.

Ashley Ord said...

katie-
I am so so sorry. This has been a complete tragedy. Please know you your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you.

josh and summer said...

Katie- you and your family have been on my mind since last night. I can't even imagine the grief that you must be feeling as you wake up this morning. Again, I am so sorry that this had to happen to your family at this time. My prayers and thoughtsgo out to all of you. Chuck and Dori are both so amazing people doing such great things. I can't help but believe that the Lord will find a way to make this alright. May peace be with you and your family at this time. We love you!!

Kimmie said...

We love you, Katie, and we are praying for you. We are all so sad, but somehow things will be alright.

Popper and Al-Pal said...

Katie, this is so horrible. We've been sick about it all day. I fasted for you guys today and have been praying for you all day. Wish there was something to say or do. We love you guys lots.
Popper, Al-Pal, & JP

Popper and Al-Pal said...

Katie,
BTW, please tell your mom and dad and S. & E. for me how much we love them and that we're thinking of them & praying for them. I didn't want to call and bug them right now.

Rusty and Tara said...

Katie, That is devastating! Your family will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers. We love you!

Katie said...

Katie-I have been thinking about your poor parents since you told me the devastating news last night. They are in our prayers. You've got such a great family-it's going to be a tough road for awhile, but they'll make it through, and they'll be blessed with the help and strength they need! Love you-xo, Katie

PapaRegis said...

Hi Katie,
I heard about the fires when my brother called from Huntington Beach last night. I am so sorry. Please let your family know they are in our prayers. Something like this really puts all the junk going on in the world into perspective!
Regis H.

Emily said...

I am so sorry. I still can't believe this horrible news--my heart hurts that your family is going through so much grief right now. Your home was special to me too, considering it's where my wedding reception was. I love your family so much, and I am so, so sorry. You're in our prayers and thoughts.

karen said...

Katie - it's Karen, Katie Hatch's mom. I was so saddened to hear about your mom and dad's home. Everyone in our ward today was stunned by the news. They are so highly thought of. I've known your mom longer than I've known almost anyone. Please let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do for them. I know they won't ask. Please give them our love.

A | E said...

We were thinking about you all yesterday and want you to know we're here, ready to help. We love you all and know you're in our prayers.

Noelle said...

Katie,
I am so sorry. It is so hard to believe we were just there a week ago enjoying the weather, family and their beautiful home. So thankful everyone was safe. We love you guys and are praying for you!!!!!

Staci said...

Katie,

I am so sorry for all that has happened to your amazing parents. They truly are amazing people and all I can think of saying is how much we have been thinking for them and praying for all of you. Please tell Uncle Chuck and Aunt Dori how much we love them and how sorry we are for this devastating loss. We love you all and wish we could only do more. Love you!

julie and john said...

Katie,
I can not imagine what your family is going through. I am so glad they are all safe. We'll keep them in our prayers.

Unknown said...

You and your family have been in our prayers all weekend. We are happy to hear that everyone is safe, but so sorry to hear of your loss.

King Family said...

you are such a great example. i wish there was something we could do. my neighbor with the buddy passes is out of town :( if you have already left tell sara to call me and i can take the boys for awhile.

Steph said...

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I have created a new blog as a forum for discussion of how people can help our family recover from this devastating tragedy: www.flakefamilyfire.blogspot.com
Love,
Steph

Sabrina and Matt said...

Katie-I'm so sorry about your family's home. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Josh said...

I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I can't imagine what you and your family must be feeling right now. I'm glad to hear that everyone is safe, at least. They'll be in my prayers.

Jessett said...

Katie I am so sorry for you and your family. Your poor parents.... I was actually in California when all of this was going on and heard about your mom and dads place. Tears roll down my eyes as I am writing this comment.

You are all in our prayers.

Alifinale said...

I am so sorry for your family. What a nightmare. I am glad everyone got out unharmed but to lose everything else is devastating. Your family will be in our prayers.

Jessica said...

Katie, I am so sorry. It was good to talk to you today, I am so glad you told me. I don't usually check blogs, so I am glad we talked. My heart goes out to you guys!

Unknown said...

We need your email address so we can add you to our blog (going private!). Email me: costaricaelise at gmail dot com

martha corinna said...

I'm so sorry Katie, I had no idea.